Friday, January 3, 2014

Whatever Happened to Angeline Hayes?

My search to find information on my paternal 4X great grandmother Angeline Hayes has played out like a unsolved mystery.  One minute she's there and the next...poof gone without a trace.  Angeline a mulatto was born into slavery around 1829 in Georgia.  She was sold to Koonce plantation owner of Henry County, Alabama.  While on the Koonce plantation, she possibly married George Hayes (a mulatto) there on the plantation or before she was purchased and she had two children (Ella and George) with him.  She also had children by Koonce, before and during her marriage to George.  According to family lore, Koonce sold George to his family member nearby plantation to get him away from Angeline. 

Angeline doesn't appear anywhere until 1880.  She's now 51 years old, living in Bascom, Florida with her three children (Clopton Koonce, Ella and George Hayes).  Just as quickly as she appears, the ever so mysterious Angeline vanishes never to be heard from again.   


What happened to Angeline? Did she pass away?  Did tragedy strike?  Family legend has it that maybe she just up and left, went on her merry way.  Time to put on my detective hat and channel my inner Colombo and solve the mystery of her disappearance.         

22 comments:

  1. We will be looking forward to your continued stories for the Hayes lines! Welcome to Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to blogging Joanie! You did it! Can't wait to find out what happened to Angeline and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got me all interested and then left me hanging! Will be watching for the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin I am looking forward to researching.

      Delete
  4. Welcome to the blogosphere. Your blog looks great, and I can't wait to hear what you learn about Angeline and your other relatives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn I am hoping to see you and everyone's blog. I am so excited. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  5. Welcome to the blog world Joanie! can't wait to hear more about your ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise I am looking forward to this learning session in ancestry. I have a huge family currently I have online 536 cousins we contact each others. Have a Happy New Year!

      Delete
  6. Well now Ms. Joanie we can finally figure out how we are connected! Wondering if it's through KOONCE in AL? Or if there's a connection to Taneya KOONCE with Ancestors from the same area. And if that's the case -- is Joann McMILLION mixed in there too?! Yes! It will be a busy year! Very happy to have you in The Fold!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Luckie for pushing me forward and sending the help (Bernita) a true gift. I have talked to Taneya and she is farmiliar with my Koonce family and she is a koonce as well. I will look into tree for Joann Mcmillion seem has I have heard of her. I would like to give you a Golden Star for offering the services that you have done. I am looking forward to connection. I currently have some Daniels in family in Florida area; this is where the Koonce settled down with families. Let trade DNA numbers I am not sure how you want to send or I send throughout group.

      Delete
  7. oh my...a mystery, indeed! can't wait to hear where and how you find your ancestor! congratulations on starting your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracey are you and family by chance from florida area?

      Delete
  8. Joanie, this post is definitely a great opener for the New Year! Isn't it amazing how our ancestors can show up in one record and be gone the next?! But it's ancestors like Angeline (and mine too) that makes this journey we're on to reconstruct their lives to determine what truly happened to them such a rewarding one in the end!

    I wish you continued success in your search for Angeline and other ancestors this year and beyond! Happy New Year to you!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I and I agree that we have an great opener for the New Year! It is with great pleasure to meet you and become apart of this new era.

      Delete
  9. Wow Joanie, awesome my sister! Now I have ti know more so keep the post coming. Your new year of discoveries is off to a great start! Thank you for sharing the Hayes and Koonce lineage with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dante for comments. I am looking forward to being here and maybe getting help from others who may be better at this. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  10. Oh how I love A mystery story! Can not wait for more pieces to the puzzle. Valerie Lewis-Mosley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerie this is so exciting to me. I am seeing a lot of interesting blogs that I love to read. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  11. Hi I am also related to the Koonces and wanted to know more about angeline who is my 4th great-grandmother. I live in Georgia and was following the koonce trail and their history. Do you have any updates?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need information about this matter.

    ReplyDelete